News from the EMS Newsletter, November 29, 2014:
1. CANP4, the fourth event in the Capacity and Network Project organized by the International Commission of Mathematical Instruction (ICMI) and supported by the International Council of Science (ICSU) held its first meeting in East Africa in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, on September 1-12 204, with more than 80 participants from Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda, This event led to the creation of a new ‘East Africa Mathematics Education and Research Network’. The founding President is Dr Alphonse Uworwabayeho (Rwanda) and the founding Secretary is Dr. Angelina Bijura (Tanzania).
2. Call for Candidates for Ibni Prize 2014.
The Prize “Ibni Oumar Mahamat Saleh” has been created in memory of our colleague and to continue its commitment to Mathematics in Africa. The prize is awarded annually to a young mathematician from Central Africa or West Africa. Applications are evaluated by a scientific committee set up by CIMPA. It funds a scientific visit. It allows a student of an institution of Central Africa or West Africa, in mathematical sciences, at the graduate or post-graduate level, to benefit a scientific training in a country other than his/her own. student.
The application must include:
– An application letter specifying the host laboratory or department
with the name of the scientist in charge.
– A scientific project written by the candidate.
– A curriculum vitae.
– A recommendation letter written by a scientist of the host laboratory.
The application must be send by email before December 15th, 2014 to
one of the following persons:
– Jean Renault (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
– Marie-Francoise Roy (email: email@example.com)
Choice of the recipient in January 2015.
All the relevant information can be found on